What to expect on the day of diving in Japan
Diving in Japan is a unique cultural experience and this short introduction will run you through what to expect on a typical day's dive with helpful Japanese to help you communicate more easily with instructors and staff.
1. Arriving at the diving shop
Finding the Staff
If you are not sure who the staff are, just ask around. Japanese are generally very friendly. They will understand you and help you look for a staff.
- Where is the staff = "Sutaffu san imasu ka?"
Confirm your Booking
After finding the staff, tell them your name and that you already have a booking. They will be waiting you.
- I have a booking = "Yoyaku arimasu"
Checking the Facilities
Where to put your baggage.
- Where can I put my bags = "Nimotsu okiba arimasu ka?"
Where the changing space is.
- Where are the changing rooms = "Kouishitsu wa dochira desu ka?"
Where the wash room is
- Where is the wash room? = "O-toire wa dochira desu ka?"
Where to put / set up your gear
-Where can I put my Diving Gear?="Kizai wa dokoniokeba iidesuka?"
Where the showers are
- Where is the shower? = "Shawa wa dochira desu ka?"
Where the gear washing areas are
- Where can I wash my gear after diving? = "Kizai araiba wa dochira desu ka?"
Where to dry your gear
- Where can I dry my gear? = "Kizai wa doko de kawakasemasu ka?"
What to do with your valuables
-Where can I keep my valuables? = "Kicyo-hin Wa azukeraremasu ka?"
Ask slowly and they should understand.
2. When to get ready
Once you know the basic layout of the facility, they should tell you when to get ready and how much you should be ready.
"Here 09:00, wear wet suite"
"Ready 09:00, put gear here, wear wetsuit to waist"
It is alway OK to ask.
In Japan, briefing is always done. Either by your guide group or with all of the guest at the shop.
Please check your Guide and your Guide Group.
-Who is my guide? = "Watashi no gaido ha donata desu ka?"
4. Guided Dive
- They will tell to stay with the group. Stay with your buddy.
If you are alone, they will assign you with a buddy, normally with other guests.
- They will tell you to stay within arms length with your buddy.
It is importtant to do this as the visibility may be bad. You don't want to be seperated in murky waters.
- They will tell you what to do when you are seperated. They will always all tell you to stay where you are, look around for about a minute and start your accend.
- Do a safety stop if you feel safe. If not ascend to the surface. Throw off your weight belt if you don't feel safe and wait for your guide to join you.
- What should I do when I am lost? = "rosuto no toki dousureba ii desu ka?"
- The guide will usually take 5-6guests in a group. As mentioned above, your are assigned a buddy. The buddy pair are supposed to follow the guide in a single file.
- The more skilled buddy pair will take the rear. If you are not confident in the new area, make sure your are near your guide. They are there to guide you and support you.
- Can I stay near you/Guide? = "Gaido san no soba ni ite ii desu ka?"
5. Air consumption
Please check with our Guide, when he/she want to know the air consumption rate. Remember Japan uses BAR not PSI. If you are usuing your own PSI gauge, make sure you show your guide your gauge.
Because it is a guide dive with other guests, the dive time will depend on the air consumption as a group.